Attention: The first and most important thing that every member should understand is that Lassen County Federal Credit Union will never contact you by email or by phone asking you to provide personal or financial information.
Even if our logo is present on an email, it is FRAUDULENT! The link given in the email will take you to a website that appears to be legitimate but is actually a phishing scam. At Lassen County Federal Credit Union we make it our priority to inform our members of how to better protect themselves from identity theft and phishing scams.
Members should go directly to our website to ensure that they have a secure site and should avoid any and all emails with links to our website.
If you or anyone you know has received any email as described above, contact the credit union immediately and/or visit the Federal Trade Commission’s website to learn more about phishing, spam and how to report any such incident.
By following these steps you can prevent falling victim to email hackers :
- Never respond to an email requesting personal or financial information. Instead, contact the institution directly.
- Always enter our website directly, rather than through your browser or by using bookmarks that you have created.
- If you think you might be on a fraudulent website, enter an incorrect password: phishing sites will accept any password. If it accepts your incorrect password, report the website.
- Use an Anti-Virus software and a Firewall that is up to date.
- Always review your credit card and bank statements.
- Forward suspicious e-mails to the Federal Trade Commission at firstname.lastname@example.org, and file phishing complaints with the State Attorney General’s office or through the Federal Trade Commission.